Sunday, January 3, 2016

Conversation with Levi Otis


I must confess, although I was acquainted with Levi Otis on facebook, I really wasnt familiar with his work. We got to talking (and I had to do a quick education via IMDB lol), and here we are.



Hello Levi. I’m going to be honest from the get go. I am unfamiliar with you or your work, so this is a learning process for me too. How was your Christmas holiday period?
Well my holiday was well thank you. I spent time with friends and preparing for season 2 of my web series underPAID, and still promoting my series “Christian Brothers” with the film festivals.
We are going to come back and touch on these two projects. Who would you say Levi Otis is?
Levi is a busy man lol, I am a productive person, A great friend a very passionate out going person
What are you passionate about? Someone once said passion is that thing inside that pushes you to act, give birth to concepts, dreams and visions. So again, what are you passionate about?
Lol so much, I am passionate about my new film Company LeviNLA Film and the projects that I am working on 24/7 to get out to the public. Be on the look out for season 2 of “underPAID” and Season 2 of “Christian Brother” I take great pride in producing quality projects and working with some great talent as well as new upcoming talent. I enjoy being a actors first real project.
I became acquainted with you from seeing a reality series you posted online. Can you talk about underPAID? How did you dream this, and venture out to birth it?

                                                            Trailer to "underPAID"

Well how I came up with the idea of underPAID, I use to work at a group home out here in California. I was the group home therapist / Supervisor there. Well just the stuff that I saw there was really funny to me and this was from the staff not even the clients. I had staff borrowing money form clients and getting upset when the clients ask for their money back. Staff taking the clients food cooking it for their self. All kinds of craziness. So one day I was at the beach just relaxing and I thought this would be a funny comedy and it all started from there and underPAID was born. But the original title was “Dysfunctional Group Home” And also I would like the readers to check out my other series “Christian Brothers” as well. It’s really funny but totally different from underPAID.
Ah! I have a similar project going on. When I was in rehab for meth addiction, I met all sorts of characters from all walks of life, so I’m developing a fictional novel on this.
Well I am glad to see you doing better my brother and trust me I know comedy comes from everywhere.
What more should we expect from this interesting series? This is Season One, right?
Yes what you saw was season one. I am 75 % complete with rewriting season 2. I have went back to the drawing board and revamped the concept of the show. I listened to the fans and the ghetto critics lol and I think everyone will be pleased with season 2 and it’s growth. It will be filmed in a different style and the jokes are super funny. Also longer episodes.
What about “Christian Brothers”? Season 1 is done, right? What can you tell us about it, how you got inspired to create it, and what should readers expect?
                                                    Trailer to "Christian Brothers" 2015

Actually Christian Brothers season 1 is done and currently out. We filmed this in April of 2015 and currently it has been accepted in a few film festivals. Now I created this show for a digital channel (TPN TV) via the Roku streaming device . With this show I wanted something different from underPAID. So I had a idea for a show about two brothers who were forced to live together. And they are night and day. This concept actually hit me one early morning I was out hiking. It is sort of a take on the "Odd Couple" It is really funny. You can check it out on TPN TV via roku or you can catch the first 3 episodes on my YouTube channel 
What other artistic output do you have out there that readers can explore to get more acquainted with your gifting?
Lol I really love to write, but I do dabble with sketching a little lol
Lol! You dabble with sketching? You wanna tell us more about that? (hehehe)
Well I like to sketch blue prints of houses. I actually went to college to be a architect  lol but came out being a juvenile therapist lol go figure
Levi, HOW did you even get into this field you are in? It looks so daunting and exclusive, yet you seem to have cracked into it.
Well I have always had a love for this. In high school and college I was in drama club. There I would write plays and we would put them on for our peers. So it only made since once I moved to Hollywood I would take it up a notch.  I met other people who had the passion such as myself  and I started working different gigs in production and meeting more people and building great relationships. Once I felt I was ready and more knowledgeable I start writing my own projects.  I have been blessed to work with some great people who has given me great advice and encouragement.
What would you tell that young man or lady reading this, and trying to follow in your footsteps?
If you want it go for it. Don’t be afraid to fail because that’s part of the journey. Always ask question, observe and never be afraid to do things your way. Make positive relationships and do not burn bridges.
I know you have some “thangs” baking in the oven. LOL. What should we expect from you not only in 2016, but in the nearest future?
Well I am working on season 2 of underPAID that will film in the end of Spring, I also have started writing season 2 of “Christian Brothers”, I will film my new show “Drink Of The Day” this summer and I am scheduled to direct a few music videos and some short films as well as appear in two new movies. Real busy year lol
A new show “Drink of the Day”, directing music videos and short films, appearing in two movies……I hail you brother! You got a busy and promising 2016 lined up indeed. God is good, and much success to you.
Thank you so much man, I truly love this journey
I know from personal experience how funding can be challenging. How has that been for you?
Yes funding is a challenge, But I do have a go fund me account, I do bake sales, always looking for investors. The money I make form other gigs I put aside for projects. Because I want my cast to be paid as well as my crew. For some actors I was their first paying gig. And I offer full IMDb credits for their participation
What’s your GoFundMe account? I wont mind sowing towards something promising, and I’m sure a lot of others wont mind doing the same.
That means the world to me, #SupportIndieProjects Here is the link  https://www.gofundme.com/86g0g0
(I encourage readers to donate and support with whatever they can. The amount we spend on our coffee, snacks or lunch can easily be sown in someone's dream. #JustSaying)
Are there any causes that are close to you that you’re involved in?
I work with “Love My Neighbor Foundation” I am the secretary. What we do is feed the homeless every Thursday. I am there to support on location when I can.
(Love thy Neighbor Foundation can be connected with on Facebook. If you want to donate your time, finances, etc, you can reach out to them)
Any last words you wanna leave with our readers?
If it makes you feel good, just go for it. We can always redo what we did today tomorrow if need be
How do readers connect with you?
There are many ways to reach me Facebook/ IG/ Twitter. And also please subscribe to my YouTube channel  or just search Levi Otis or LeviOtisNLA


9 comments:

  1. Awesome story. He's an awesome man of God also. Dont know him personally, but i have seen his work. Great man. This is also good for those that want to get into writing like my daughter. She's a lot like him. lol. Wish him the best! You as well my Brutha! Great interview. Really enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Also be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/user/LeviOtisNLA

      Delete
  2. Awesome story. He's an awesome man of God also. Dont know him personally, but i have seen his work. Great man. This is also good for those that want to get into writing like my daughter. She's a lot like him. lol. Wish him the best! You as well my Brutha! Great interview. Really enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was informative and entertaining. Thanks for visiting our blog

      Delete
    2. I'm glad it was informative and entertaining. Thanks for visiting our blog

      Delete
  3. creative genius! looking forward to new things from him really sooon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel
      www.youtube.com/user/LeviOtisNLA

      Delete
  4. You rock can't wait to get my script for Underpaid ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So do you act. Do you live in Cali

      Delete