Monday, March 20, 2017

Post-Oscar Conversation with Calvin

 Award season has been over for a minute, so I decided to have a quick chat with Calvin Bonds.....excuse me, Dr Calvin Bonds, who happens to be very active during award season




I decided to have this conversation with you, as I know you are actively involved with the activities of award season. Is it safe to say things have slowed down now that The Oscars are over?

Well as far as the entertainment events go, the cycle begins again. Films will begin being submitted to festivals and people will begin to petition voting members of the academy to check out their projects in hopes for an eventual nomination.

For those who don’t know, how exactly are you involved in the activities of the award season?

I am a U.S. Rep for the PR Firm, London Flair PRWe had two films nominated for the Oscars this year: Sing by Kristof Deak, which actually won the Oscar and Timecode by Juanjo Gimenez. I had the pleasure of being with them throughout their journey during certain Oscar festivities.

Describe a typical day in what you do in this regard?

A typical day consists of me preparing for a red carpet event.  First and foremost I have to make sure that I have all of the information and passes for the event. I also will make sure the client is prepared and will arrive at the event on time to do the Step and Repeat (Red Carpet). Once I arrive at the event, I will check in, get the red carpet passes and meet the client on the carpet. We will then proceed on the Step and Repeat. I will announce him or her and the movies or television shows they have been in. I will also secure interviews for them with reporters. After we have finished the red carpet, we would proceed to the event where I will initiate introductions/ conversations between my client and Hollywood producers, directors, actors, executive producers and other prominent people in the room.

That sounds pretty exciting in the grand scheme of things.  Have you ever had an A list client you were really impressed over (not suggesting your other clients are any less impressive)? Can you name drop, or that's pushing it?

*Laughs Out Loud*
Yes, but I think they all are A-listers in their own way in my book. I'm impressed with all of them indeed. It's my job to meet them where they are (which are on different levels) and challenge them to go further in their ability to get their names out there. I have to admit I have a pretty good list of clients.


Fair enough, my friend.....fair enough. So how long have you been doing this?

I have been dong this for a total of close to 10 years now, so since I was 11 years old (Laughs out loud).

Aww, you cute baby. Momma put you to work early, huh? LOL. So how many award shows did you participate in, including the lunches or dinning leading up to it?

Lol…aw man I don’t know. I usually just go to as many as I can during Oscars season. I will say that I have attended enough to continue my gym membership. The food is amazing! lol

I can imagine. That's world class cuisine and fancy eating. Get you eat on, bruh! So  what leads up to The Oscars?

Well there are submissions of films to festivals. There are petitions for films to be voted on by voting members of The Academy. There are a lot of promotion going on as well. It takes a lot for a film to make it to Oscar level.

I saw some pictures that you shared. What can you tell us about those experiences?

I have pictures posted of an Oscar Luncheon with some of the Best Picture and Lead Actor nominees. I also have pictures on the red carpet being  interviewed on the night of the Oscars. I must say this whole experience is nothing short of a blessing and I am humbled and thankful to be a part.



Thank you Calvin for taking the time to do a quick catch up with our readers!


Thank you for doing this awesome interview with me. It’s always a pleasure to talk with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment