Sunday, August 13, 2017

Conversation with Ivan Thompson


Ivan Thompson is a Veteran,  Actor, Singer, and Entrepreneur. Below is the conversation I had with him



Ivan! It's certainly a pleasure to have this conversation with you. How would you describe yourself to the readers?

I am a singer of inspirational music and love songs. I am an author. I am an actor. I am a father of five. I am active volunteering in the local community and with my local church. At this point in my life, 52, I’m trying to develop every unfulfilled dream that the Lord has placed in my heart.

Wow! You have a full life! Congratulations. What do you do for a living?

I am retired military officer, and I recently left a full-time work to pursue all of the areas I mentioned previously. So I am in full hustle mode now. I write books, seven in the past eight months with three more to go. I act. I just completed a Budweiser commercial last month. I rent rooms out of my house. I substitute teach. It’s been a challenge I may have to return to a 9-5 but I am doing everything I can to keep working for myself.

(A commercial that Ivan is featured in)

That’s all cylinders burning brother! It can’t be easy launching out into the deep, but here’s praying your hard work pays off.What would you say you are passionate about? 

I’m passionate about helping people pursue their dreams, to get started in things that they really want to do—especially young people. Two of the last three books I have written fall into this category. I volunteer once a week at the local Goodwill Career Center. It’s the highlight of my week as I get to help older people sharpen resumes and interview skills and younger people try to find their niche in life.


I've known you for YEARS now, and it wasn't until recently I came across your music on iTunes. And I was impressed. It appears you have a music repertoire, so can you take us to how you got started?

I have been singing since I was about ten and have dreamed about singing before large audiences since I was about four. I had the lead in a musical theater production in 9th grade and have been focused on pursuing recording and performing opportunities ever since.


What would you say was your first big break?

I performed on Bobby Jones Gospel in 1987 and I thought man that was it! Then in 2008 and 2009 I performed the National Anthem for the Lakers. That opportunity opened doors for me to sing for the NFL, MLB, WNBA, NHL, NASCAR, and the NCAA.

(Ivan singing National Anthem at a Laker's game)


Everyone has a dream as a child. What was yours?

I have three very vivid dreams from as far back as I can remember. The first two are giving away large sums of money and the second is fighting the devil. The dream of singing came in somewhere later.

Fighting the devil? Awesome! That would mean you love praying, since that’s one of the ways we can effectively disarm the devil. As a child how did you learn to pray?

I didn’t know anything about prayer as a child. I became a Christian in college and really didn’t know anything about prayer and communion with God until I became Spirit-filled and read books like “Practicing the Presence of God” by Brother Lawrence and “Good MorningHoly Spirit” by Benny Hinn.

You were in the military. How did that influence and shape you? And did it help redefine your dream, or not?

I went to a military academy for four years and then spent 24 additional years in the Air Force. So for 28 years I wore a blue uniform. I think my military experience gave me a broader more diverse view of the world having worked with people of different races and having the opportunity to see different parts of the world. I think military service has made me more disciplined, more appreciative of the sacrifices of the military. I lived part of my dream in the military. I performed all over the country and Europe as Tour Director and lead male vocalist for the Air Force’s Tops in Blue Entertainment Team. I was able to share my vocal talent with multiplied thousands. In my uniform I went to inner city high schools and encouraged kids and young adults to spend time investing in themselves, discovering their talents and abilities and making the most of their time in high school. I was able to give time and money in the communities where I served in the local church. My Air Force retirement has given me a level of security that most up-and-coming entertainers don’t have. My retirement helps fund my dreams. My experience in the military has also shaped my music in that I have written several military tribute songs and patriotic music is a key piece of my repertoire.

You are a believer in the Gospel message. How did that happen, and how has the journey been?

I became a Christian in the military academy I was attending, around my sophomore year. I was heavily influenced by some friends. Initially I was on fire for God and my zeal masked some issues that it has taken the Lord decades to finally get to. So I feel at times that I have taken steps backward but in reality God has finally been able to get to some root issues that cause me great pain even after being a Christian since 1983. I used to mask that pain with a flurry of church activity, work-aholism, five kids and wife. Now that my kids are gone and I am divorced, God finally has me in a place where He can do his deepest work. It’s scary at times. I thank God for Christian friends and groups like Celebrate Recovery to help keep me stable as I get to the root of issues that go all the way back to childhood.

Yeah, we all have issues that we are working on. You mention masking pain with the flurry of church. I’m sure a lot of readers may identify with this. Can you speak more on how easy it is to use religious and church activities to form a façade, and completely mask and drown underlying issues that need to be addressed?

I wouldn’t use the word façade in my case. I remember almost 20 years ago the Holy Spirit told me to quit everything that I was doing in the church, to stop serving in every area that I was serving. I didn’t understand it but I knew it was his voice. When I did I was so empty and I felt I had nothing. That’s when Holy Spirit said you’re right you don’t have anything because your entire relationship with God consisted of what you were doing in church and not in your intimate fellowship with Him. It’s the whole story of Martha and Mary in Luke 10

You mention that your issues caused you great pain. Do you think this “pain” is ever revealed or expressed in your artistic expressions for? 

I don’t think it’s right to channel pain into Christian music. Let me explain. I think we are supposed to be led by the Spirit when we minister in song just like we would if we were preaching. I’ve seen a lot of people minister in song by getting caught up in their emotions and then leading people to move in their emotions. While I think our emotions will always be involved, I believe if we lead people by the Spirit we will we take them to a different place in the Spirit than we would have in our emotions—especially sad ones. To me that’s blues music

You make a great point about being led by the Spirit in how we minister.
5 kids! You must be a proud father of your kids accomplishments…..?

Very proud of my kids and their accomplishments and I take the time to promote them every chance I get. Three are doing very well in Hollywood as a make-up artist, hair stylist and fashion stylist/jewelry line designer. The other two are in college doing very well

That's awesome! Congratulations!!
Speaking of accomplishments, as a professional singer, does your faith define and influence your choices and decision making?

Absolutely. My faith plays a major role in the type of lyrics I would sing and the type of venues and settings I feel comfortable in. It’s kind of odd because I sing love songs too. Not songs about illicit sex but love songs, kind of like the love songs from the 80s (Luther, Stevie, Lionel Richie, James Ingram, Jeffrey Osborn) when you could sing about love and not mean casual sex. The same also holds true for me as an actor. But because of the nature of the industry it has made it difficult for me to navigate the music industry. On the flip side I don’t like singing gospel music that is not based on the Word or singing in gospel setting where they are singing “for show” or where the people’s offstage lifestyles are totally contradictory to what they are singing. When I experience that I figure I might as well be singing secular music in that secular artists are more honest about their lifestyle than some Christian artists I have worked around. I’m in that same boat. I want to live a life that reflects what I sing or not sing at all. I certainly haven’t always lived up to that and am seeking help everywhere I can so that my songs match my life.

Some puritanical Christians believe secular music is just that, regardless if it is general love songs or not. How would you explain to them that singing or loving old skool R&B songs doesn’t contradict your spiritual convictions?

I think everyone has to come to their own convictions and draw their own lines. Take Stevie Wonder’s “Songs in the Key of Life”.  That’s my favorite secular album of all time. Several of those songs have been performed as gospel songs. For me personally I don’t feel comfortable singing songs about graphic sexual activity, sex outside marriage, or song with profanity. However I don’t think the devil should be allowed to corner the market on love songs and have 100% ownership of how the airwaves define love.


Do you have any new music project you are working on?

I just released my first three gospel songs. One is an original song entitled “I Want It All” and it’s a song the Lord gave me about moving closer to Him with my heart vs. just my words. I also did a gospel remake of the finale song “Home” from the musical “The Wiz”. I have been wanting to record that song for forever it seems. But it’s finally done and it is really good! Finally, I did a cover song, or my rendition of the song “I Need You Now” originally performed by Smokey Norful. I think people will like it. All of my music is available on iTunes and cdbaby.com.

(Released Oct 2016 available on iTunes)

(Released May 2017. Available on iTunes)


You are also a writer? How did you get into writing, and what do you write about?

Kenneth I write the things the Lord puts on my heart. In the Old Testament, the prophets would get a word from the Lord or a prophetic burden. Ideas for books come to me that way. My first book was a burden about diversity in the highest levels of the Air Force. It’s called “The Air Force’s Black Ceiling”. The Lord would not let me drop the idea. Every time I would come to Him about what goals He wanted me to focus on, He would say finish the book. I can see now why. Hundreds of copies have been sold touching people all over the country and set the stage for the sequel that I am writing now. I have written a book for Christian businessmen, "25 Essential Bible Verses For Christian Business Leaders". A book called “Increasing YourSkills and Abilities in Any Area- Hidden Bible Secrets to Success” which shares my secrets to songwriting and how I have written seven books in eight months. I wrote a book called “You Should- Distractions and Detours to Divine Destiny” which is a book that talks about how in the midst of your search for divine purpose you have all these people in your life saying “you should” do this or that. I have written a book on fitness and I have a book on Confidence coming out at the end of the month. I have three other titles that I plan to finish before the end of August: “Finding Next—A Book of Divine Seasons”, “The Air Force’s Black Pilot Training Experience” and “25 Essential Bible Verses for Fathers”. All of my books, e-books and audiobooks can be found on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBooks, and Kobo.





(These are just 2 of his books. See links above, and search his name titles in the various listed markets above)



Wow! You indeed have been very busy, and are going on all cylinders, brother! May God bless your endeavors.
Let's segue to your personal life. You are a father; can you tell us more about your life as a father, and possibly share some sage words?

I am a father of five. We had a blended family, his, hers and ours. I could write a whole book giving you sage words in fact I am! Look for it in July, “25 Essential Bible Verses forFathers” and look for a chapter I wrote on guiding your kids into their divine purpose in the book “You Should”. I will say this though, you need the anointing of God to be a good father. You need the discernment and leading of the Holy Ghost to discover God’s purpose for your child and to guide them toward it. You need the Holy Ghost to have patience and show love and to overcome your own weaknesses as you model Christian living before your kids. I made a lot of mistakes in front of my kids, some which led to divorce from their mom. It has taken every bit of the grace of God to recover from that and still impact the direction of their lives. Get the book.

Speaking of making mistakes, how do you come to terms with mistakes you have made, especially if you disappointed people looking up to you, and embarrassed people who were vouching for you?

It’s been rough coming to terms with some of my mistakes but I follow the example of David. He sinned, repented and got up and moved on. He asked God to create in him a clean heart and to renew a right spirit within him versus going in the corner paralyzed and useless because of his past sins. If God can forgive me and I can forgive me then too bad for anyone else that decides not to

Amen to that brother! You're preaching for real! As Christians, some of us, if not all of us, have a testimony to share. Do you have one to share?

My complete testimony is not ready for prime time. I’m not sure when that day will come but it will. The early manifestation of my testimony is seen in part in the lives of my kids, in my music, my military career, my acting credits and all my recent books. I have overcome so much in my life, especially as a child that it is miraculous that I am still here.

Rofl @ ""complete testimony not being ready for prime time. Is it that hardcore, too raw and real for church folks to handle, or still a work in progress?

I don’t feel led to answer this question.

Fair enough, I'm sure we can read between the lines.
So as incredibly talented as you are, what do you see yourself accomplishing in the near future?

Thanks for the compliment Kenneth. I think I have only started to scratch the surface. I believe God wants me to share my talents on a national level and beyond. That’s acting, singing, writing, speaking, consulting. I’m laying the groundwork in all these areas now and God is helping me to restore the years the locust and the cankerworm have eaten to give me enough time to accomplish the success He has shown me in dreams all the way back to age four. Thanks for selecting me for this interview.

You’re welcome, Ivan. And I pray that God would perfect what he has begun in you, and use you to the glory of his name.
Do you have any last words to readers who may have a past, have made mistakes, or given up on pursuing their dreams?

You can’t use your mistakes as an excuse to be like the one talent man in the parable of the talents and hide your talent in the ground. You will give an account to God for what you did with the talents and the assignment He gave you. Abraham, Moses and David all made huge mistakes, deliberate sins but moved on to do great things for God


Visit Ivan's website Launch Productions to learn more about him, his vision, passion and outreach

1 comment:

  1. What a phenomenal story and interview with Mr. Ivan. I believe he's a blessings to the world and the body of Christ as a whole. This is an honour to read his story. Would love to hear and read more from him.
    Thank you Mr. Kenneth for an AWESOME interview. Looking forward to reading more from you my Brutha.
    Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete