Friday, April 27, 2018

Conversation with Bishop Carrington


On this edition of Conversations, I'm having it with an Author and Musician, who more importantly happens to be a Bishop.....my bishop. J Charles Carrington, Jr is someone I have come to respect over the years, and have the opportunity to call a friend. 



My Bishop! This is going to be a fun conversation, and I’m going to attempt to keep this very professional and serious. Lol, yeah right.
So can you introduce yourself to the readers and tell us a little about yourself?


Well, first of all I am indeed honored that you thought of me. I count it a privilege to discuss with your sphere of influence.
I am a Servant of the LORD, the most blessed husband of Pastor Althea Carrington, father of 3 wonderful adult children, the eldest son of 2 wonderful parents, oldest of 4 blood siblings and 6 total, and I am a lover of people, preacher of righteousness and available for God’s use.


LOL! You broke that thing down to the basics! Alright Bishop, I see this is going to be a good chat.
So you are the Pastor of Life Builders Church, and the Senior Pastor and Presiding Bishop of The Full Gospel Christian Fellowship. What’s the difference between your church and the fellowship?


Life Builders Church is the local ministry that I have been blessed to pastor since 1986. We started out as Zion Temple Fellowship Church and changed the name at our 20th year to establish the brand of People Builders.
Full Gospel Christian Fellowship is the national fellowship organization of Bishops, Pastors, Para-Church and Ministry Leaders that I cover nationwide.


“Para-church”. I just learned a new word expression. Ha!
So Dominion Church was part of the ministry under your covering? How did you get “to cover” Dominion Church?
(Dominion Church is a church I had joined and was a part of back in ’96)


Wow. . .When Pastor Kermit Wheeler was the Senior Pastor, he sought me out as his covering. We were best friends and grew up in the same Ministry under the leadership of Chief Apostle Monroe Saunders. Pastor Kermit saw the need to have a source of direct accountability and covering for both he and the ministry of Dominion Church. I sought to serve Pastor Wheeler, his family and the Dominion Church family faithfully because of my love for the Wheeler family and the bond of love that developed between myself and the Dominion Church family


Wow, I do miss the late Pastor Wheeler! Going over to his crib and chowing down on the “seafood-fest” he was known for, and sleeping over, and talking late into the night till I wore the poor man out into a slumber! Fun memories.
Coming back from my flashback, Dominion Church has now morphed into Impact DMV Church. How did that come about? Can you enlighten us on the birth of Impact DMV, a church I have now officially joined/returned to, thanks to your “friendly insistence”. Lol


The Joyner family as well as the former Christ Church of Rockville family have been dear to me for well over 25 years. Christ Church became a part of the Full Gospel family. I asked Dr. Lee Joyner to assist with Dominion Church as my relationship with Dominion Church began to be a heavy load that I could not effectively carry alone after the untimely death of Pastor Wheeler. I am sure that you can imagine how difficult it was having to commute from Baltimore after ministering at Life Builders, to minister at Dominion Church, support Pastor Wheeler's family and the Dominion Church family through the grieving process; all while grieving myself.
I would like to think that GOD'S awesome providence led to the merger and joining of two great ministries into one powerful ministry.


(Video intro of Impact DMV Church by Dr Lee Joyner)

That’s awesome indeed. You typically hear of churches breaking off to go start a new ministry. You never really hear of two different ministries merging. Definitely a God thing, and though I’m just getting to know The Joyner family, I’m impressed with their openness and heart.
Okay, now that we have all the framework to our relationship out of the way, lets dig into you! I remember one of the first times I heard you minister, not only did you preach, but you also sang. So you are a musician? Do you write music? Any chance of sharing it with the world?


Man, you are determined not to allow me stay "In-Cog-Negro"
I wrote my first song when I was 5 years old. I have written over two hundred songs. There are some projects on the horizon, the near horizon. 
I am a blessed part of a musically inclined family. We were the foundation of a musical group called The Refreshing. We released our first recording in 1986. I either wrote or collaborated with my brothers to write many of the songs on that project.


(Music by The Refreshing)



Hold up! Let’s digest that for a minute. First song at 5? What was the title, and what was it about? Candy, cartoons, or something more “heartfelt” (as heartfelt as a 5 yr old can get. Lol)


LOL...The name of the song was "Dumbo Is A Flying Elephant". I need to revisit and update it and contact The Disney Company.


My 10% please for inspiring this idea, thank you (hahaha). I guess you must be some sort of musical prodigy. Well, we are definitely looking to the near horizon for your musical projects.


I do know you are a writer. How many books have you written?


To date I have written 5 books



5 books? That’s awesome. Okay, lets do a quick overview of each:


Plain Talk On The Revelation:-This book is a "plain-talk" commentary on The Revelation. It does not employ heavy theological terms nor out dated opines. It simply explains, to any reader, what this book is detailing

A 40 Day Devotional:- It is simply a change agent, designed to help the reader mature and deepen their relationship with GOD. 40 Days usually represents a time of lasting change process and development

Leadership Insights:- This book was written as if I was having a personal and indept conversation with a leader

(Available on Amazon)

The Transformation Theology:- This book is about the real solution to spiritual blight in urban settings. It confronts racism, victimization, the blame-game and leads the reader to the breaking of systemic thoughts and behaviors that multiply and lead to the destruction of our cities

(Available on Amazon)


Let’s talk about your book your 5th book, “Heavenly Minded”. How did you come about writing this book?

(Available on Amazon & Barnes and Noble)

As a pastor for over 30 years, I have seen and experienced many things. Unfortunately, some of the experiences are detailed in HEAVENLY MINDED. Of course I am not talking about any one person nor any one situation, but I have personally experienced some of what’s in this novella.
I wrote the book by the leading of the Holy Ghost because people need deliverance in a powerful way.

How different is "Heavenly Minded" from OWN's "Greenleaf", the soap opera depiction of a mega church, that has often left me with a sour taste for not being able to capture the authentic moments of true ministry?


I wrote "Heavenly Minded" before "Greenleaf" came out. I held it back because we were in the midst of a major opportunity at the time, and I did not want the potential distraction that could come from the controversy. The subject matter of "Heavenly Minded" did not completely center around homosexuality, but the subject was/is prominent and dealt with in the book


You have never been afraid to address that topic, but I can understand a need to avoid controversy on the cusp of an opportunity. What has the reception been to this book?


To date the reviews have been powerful. Over 500 copies have been sold as of this this interview, through personal sales, Barnes and Nobles, Amazon, Nook and Kindle


That’s great! As a fellow independent author, I know the pavement pounding one has to do to drum up sales. Congratulations indeed! Are you working on any other writing projects in the near future?


A sequel to HEAVENLY MINDED is in the works and an audio book is soon to be released.


You are a Bishop, so lets talk about that. Joseph Prince is the “grace” preacher, Joel Osteen is the “hope” preacher, Benny Hinn is the “healer”, and Billy Graham was the evangelist. What would you say your core message is?


I am GOD's Vessel available to be what He requires of me. I want to be like Jesus; he had a Word for all situations, he wasn't in a box, and he met the needs before him. I want to be a Man of GOD


I like that. We live in a contemporary world. Do you believe the church, especially from the pulpit (your platform) should address contemporary, and even controversial issues, or we shouldn’t rock the boat (and no, I’m not going there…though you know I have no qualms to, and neither do you. That’s why you’re my Bishop. Ha!)


The Word Is contemporary - It is appropriate for all seasons and addresses all issues. The real question is are we, as preachers, brave enough to minister the whole counsel of GOD?


There it is. Most preachers seem to want the adulation of the pulpit and crowd, and even the world, so they pacify them. While others are so disconnected from social concerns and issues, with their faces completely buried in dogma.
How do people who haven’t heard you minister get a chance to experience your teaching/preaching?


If you are on Periscope follow me @BishopJCharles. There are a backlog of messages there and our church website has a bookstore


You are a happily married man with kids; do you mind telling us about your family and how God has been good to you? (Make your boast in God’s goodness to your family)


I give GOD all the glory for my wife of over 34 years. She has saved my life, breathed affirmation into me. She has given me two wonderful sons, and my son has blessed us by choosing our new daughter, his bride. My Wife and children are my chief earthly joy


Congratulations! I celebrate God’s goodness to you indeed
Before we wrap this up, would you be willing to share a pivotal personal moment you’ve had in your walk with God? A moment you learned something so life affecting. I’m sure there is someone reading this waiting to be influenced and affected by your experience, and lesson learned.


WOW! I failed in so many areas…We lost a building. . .I placed people in my life who hurt me. . .I was once stupid with money. . .I let my focus on seeking the approval of people almost destroy my life. Each place of failure taught me that GOD is my SOURCE. I am to trust HIM above all others. Be swift to hear and slow to speak. I am a better man because GOD is the MASTER GIVER OF SECOND CHANCES


Amen!! Master Giver of second, third, fourth, fifth chances! Heck, multiple chances!! Glory to God!! Thank you Bishop.
Where and when can we come fellowship with you and be blessed?


Every Sunday at 12:30 pm, and starting at 10 am as well on Wednesdays beginning at 7:15 pm at 7310 Park Heights Ave, Pikesville, Maryland (Life Builders Church At Temple Oheb Shalom)


Are you open to receiving any love gifts, donations or offerings from readers? (I’m learning you always gotta be open to receive, cos you never know who might feel led to give)


I asked GOD to make me a good investment and to allow my life to always be fertile a soil, so yes!
(Please CLICK HERE to consider giving a love gift/sowing into this ministry. Thank you)


How do we connect with you on social media?


Yes Sir! Follow me on Twitter @BishopJCharles. My Facebook page Bishop J. CharlesCarrington, Jr. Again, thank you for thinking of me. 100 Fold Return!!!

Amen!! Thank you sir!! As predicted, good talk! 😄, I appreciate you much!

No comments:

Post a Comment