Sunday, December 6, 2015

Conversation with Victoria Theodore



In this edition of Conversations, the featured guest is Victoria Theodore. What can I say about this multi-talented lady? The one word i would describe her as is dedication - to her craft, and to her art. From the very first time I got acquainted with her, she has exhibited sheer dedication to her craft.


Its been a while I touched base with you, and a lot has transpired with you. How are you feeling with your musical journey?


I’m feeling great! Optimistic, inspired, excited!


The first time we got acquainted was back on MySpace (lol, how time flies). You’ve gone on to be a musician on a national late night TV. For our readers who don’t know, please talk about that experience, how you got on board, and how the whole late night talk show atmosphere/experience is.


In May 2013, I auditioned and was hired to perform as the keyboardist/singer on the new Arsenio Hall Show.  It was an exhilarating process.  We had to keep it secret for months, and then were featured on several entertainment shows before we launched on September 9, 2013.  Everything about the experience was incredible: playing with the best band on television, working with Arsenio, meeting celebrities, accompanying superstar musicians, having my hair/makeup/wardrobe provided on a daily basis.  It was a dream...


Back in the day, you used to spend hours daily practicing your musicality, and for us onlookers, it seemed so regimented. Are you still committed to a structured rehearsal time?


I try.  But now that I run my own business, I’m not just an artist.  I’m also in charge of marketing, art design, programming, booking, managing, accounting, social media, etc.  I just don’t have the time to do everything I need to do to ensure my business success as an artist and practice the way I’d like to.  I do the best I can, given the circumstances.  But it’s an honor to be in this position: I have an album and the skill sets to handle it!


I completely understand needing to do everything while building ones business. Kudos to you.
Finally!! I’m so glad your stellar gifting can be experienced in the new music you have out. What should readers who purchase your music expect in this cd?


My album, Grateful, is a collection of original songs that reflect my varied background, but are tied together by themes of inspiration and hope.  My songs are very honest, at times poignant.  I usually see at least a few people with tears in their eyes at every show.




Was there a unique creative process to birthing the final songs? Any specific or even poignant inspiration?


Not unique: sometimes I let the piano lead me.  Other times, I’d have a lyrical concept and let that lead me.  The songs do reflect some of the challenges I’ve experienced in life, but the bottom line always comes back to hope, gratitude and strength.


This is probably a redundant question, but how long have you been a keyboardist, and how did you fall in love with the craft so deeply to stay so committed to it?


My mother says I started playing when I was 2 years old.  I don’t remember that, but I also don’t remember not playing.  When I was 12 years old, I saw the pianist Andre Watts perform, and I knew in that moment that I wanted to be a pianist.


You have worked with Stevie Wonder, correct? Are there any other names we can unabashedly drop in here (modesty has been officially banished from this conversation. Lol)


I toured with Stevie Wonder for nearly 7 years.  With him, I’ve performed with too many iconic musicians to mention.  A few: Prince, Sting, BB King, Jeff Beck, Smokie Robinson, John Legend, Indie.arie, Esperanza Spalding, etc.


Wow! Toured with him for years? That's incredible! You must learned a lot just working with such a world class artist. Is there a dream artist or singer you would want to work with?


I already have: working with Stevie Wonder is a dream!


So what’s next for you?


I’m performing my own music!  I’ve been booking small venues across the state of California, and have been having the time of my life performing house concerts in the homes of various fans.  I love performing for a massive audience (I’ve played in front of hundreds of thousands with Stevie), but the intimacy and personal connection that I make with a group of people in a private home, performing my songs, watching tears swell in their eyes, smiles spread across their faces, toes tapping, heads nodding, to my songs?  That’s priceless...


You have a few shows coming up. How do readers check your itinerary to buy tickets to your show?


My website has all of the information you need (www.victoriatheodore.com)!  My CD Release concert is at Yoshi’s Oakland on Tuesday, December 1. I’ve got a GREAT band of Bay Area musicians and can’t wait to celebrate this milestone with everyone! And the first single off of the album is Human.
Human (Acoustic Version)



(Unfortunately our Conversation was posted after the album launch. Please support her and get her album in a legit manner :-) Thank you)


For a young artist trying to get in the game, what sage words would you offer?


If there’s anything else you can do in life, and be happy, pursue that.  Because music is that hard!  However, if nothing else can make you happy, be prepared for the challenge, the rejection, the financial instability, the disrespect, the moments of hopelessness, but also the joy, the thrill, the sense of purpose, the emotional connections, the ebb and flow of a musical career.  And practice more than everyone you know.


As you enjoy your musical and professional journey, what do you hope to become artistically in the long run?


More of myself: a pianist, singer, songwriter, producer, arranger, working on my own music, performing with other top musicians, creating musical moments that listeners will never forget.  It’s magical, and I want to create that magic as long as God and destiny allow.


Finally, how do readers connect with you in this social media networking age? And please do highlight where one can discover, explore and purchase your music.


My album is available at the iTunes store, bandcamp, and cdbaby.
Social Media:
http://www.victoriatheodore.com
https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaTheodoreMusic
https://twitter.com/VictoriaTheo
https://www.youtube.com/VJTee
http://instagram.com/victoriatheodoremusic
https://soundcloud.com/victoriatheodore

Thank you for the conversation, and much success to you, friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment